I've always been a visual learner - that's why I fell in love with this video and how it explains chiropractic. It's important to remember - chiropractic helps to remove interference on the nervous system, which allows your brain and body to communicate better, which enables you to function at your optimum potential!
So what are some things we can do to reduce stress to the spine and nervous system?
5. Visit Your Chiropractor - The stresses of daily life come in 3 forms: Physical Stress (traumas like a fall or accident or smaller repetitive things like sitting all day or improper posture), Emotional Stress (work stress, relationship stress, financial stress, etc.) and Chemical Stress (toxins in the environment and unhealthy foods). These stresses build up in the body, and negatively effect your nervous system, which leads to stress and dysfunction in your spine. A chiropractor is trained to locate the results of nervous system stress in your spine and remove them using gentle chiropractic adjustments. Over time, these adjustments can help you adapt to outside stresses so your body can function at its best!
Is it time to start taking care of your spine? Call our office to set up an initial consultation and visit with Dr. Cristina by calling us at 203-355-2830.
What structures are examined when evaluating the cause of TMJ pain?
Chiropractic Approach to TMJ
The TMJ and our nervous system
The chiropractic adjustments are used to relieve pressure on the spine, cranial bones and jaw, which studies show may help to correct or relieve a TMJ problem. Interestingly enough, an unhealthy skull/jaw alignment can also put great stress upon the spinal column. Problems to your general health and well-being can occur with TMJ dysfunction because of the important neurological connections around the area of the temporomandibular joint.
1. Chiropractic Treatment of Temporomandibular Dysfunction: A Retrospective Case Series
Pavia, Steven et al. Journal of Chiropractic Medicine , Volume 14 , Issue 4 , 279 - 284. http://www.journalchiromed.com/article/S1556-3707%2815%2900080-2/abstract
Check out our profile below:
Have you ever woken up in the middle of the night and thought, "I wish I had scheduled an appointment with Dr. Cristina this week"? We are excited to have added online scheduling to the practice!
At this point, our online scheduling system is available to CURRENT PATIENTS only. If you are a new patient and would like to schedule an appointment with Dr. Cristina to see her for the first time, you can give us a call at 203-355-2830, or you can request an appointment here and someone from our office will contact you.
Step 1: Go to Home Page
Step 2: Enter Your Information
Step 3: Choose an Appointment Time and Submit
Step 4: Confirm your Appointment
And, of course, you are still always welcome to give us a call at 203-355-2830 if you'd rather make an appointment by phone. We'll see you soon! :)
In honor of New York Comic Con this weekend, we had our favorite Comic Book producer, Mike Dolce of www.mikebooks.com co-author our blog post this week. Together, we weighed in on some of Spider-Man’s best and worst positions for spinal health!
Check out some posture improvements a couple of our patients have made:
1. Chiropractic care focuses on optimal health and function: When your spine is properly aligned and balanced, your body works better. How come? Proper alignment of the spine minimizes stress on your nervous system so your brain and body can communicate without interference.
2. Professional athletes LOVE chiropractic! Numerous athletes have credited their chiropractors in helping them perform at their best. (Including this year’s US Open winner, Jordan Speith, who thanked his chiropractor in his winner’s speech at his green jacket presentation!) Other professional athletes who are avid fans of chiropractic include Aaron Rodgers (who’s dad is a chiropractor!), Michael Jordan, Andy Murray, Usain Bolt and Ryback (Just to name a few)! Fun Fact: Doctors of Chiropractic (DCs) are utilized by all 32 National Football League teams! (1)
3. Chiropractors take care of the WHOLE person - chiropractors who use a holistic wellness-centered approach (like Dr. Cristina) focus on the function of the entire spine. This is important because everything in your body is connected, and our bodies can only function at their best when the entire spine is in alignment.
4. Patients LOVE us! Research has shown that Doctors of Chiropractic provide a patient centered, whole person approach to health care marked by greater interaction and better communication, resulting in consistently higher patient satisfaction ratings than other doctors in different fields. (2)
5. The first chiropractic adjustment helped restored a man’s hearing - A man named Harvey Lillard felt something “give out” in his back, and he lost his hearing immediately. 17 years later in 1895, he told his story to a man named DD Palmer, who felt his back and gave him what he referred to as a “crude adjustment” to his upper back. After that interaction, Harvey reports being able to hear again! (3)
6. Chiropractic is beneficial for ALL ages - even babies and kids! There are many stresses on the spine that can happen to babies and children early on in life: the birth process, tumbles as the child learns to walk, sports injuries, heavy backpacks, playground falls, etc. Although these stresses may not result in pain immediately, they can cause an imbalance in the spine as it’s growing and developing, which can set the stage for dysfunction and problems later on in life. Check out our other post on chiropractic care for kids.
7. Chiropractic patients are healthier than the general population - a 7 year study tracked patients who saw a chiropractor as their primary health intervention, and they were shown to have 83% less pharmaceutical costs, 62% less outpatient surgeries, 60% fewer hospital admissions, and 59% fewer days in the hospital. (4)
Are you getting adjusted at Stamford Balance Chiropractic Studio yet? Contact us to see how chiropractic may be able to help you function at your best! Call us at 203-355-2830 or request an appointment online.
1. Professional Football Chiropractic Society (PFCS) 2010 www.profootballchiros.co
2. Gaumer G, PhD. Factors associated with patient satisfaction with chiropractic care: survey and review of the literature. JMPT 2006 July-Aug; 29(6):455
4. Clinical Utilization and Cost Outcomes From an Integrative Medicine Independent Physician Association: An Additional 3-Year Update. Sarnat, Richard L. et al. Journal of Manipulative & Physiological Therapeutics, Volume 30, Issue 4, 263 - 269.
Everyone deserves to relax at the beach, but we can’t let our spinal health go by the wayside! It only takes 10-15 minutes in one position for our ligaments to begin to lose elasticity, which can put stress on your spine and nervous system. These tips can help prevent injuries and encourage spinal health!
Drop by the new office location anytime between 6-9 pm for some food and drinks! Friends and family are welcome!
In his study, he calculated the increase of weight and pressure that different head and neck angles exert on the joints in the spine. The human head weighs about a 10-12 pounds. As the neck bends forward and down, the weight on the cervical spine begins to increase, which leads to extra wear-and-tear on the spinal joints. This extra strain on the neck causes incorrect biomechanics in our spines, which can cause pain, stiffness, soreness, muscle spasm, shoulder pain, and/or headaches.
So, as your neck bends forward more, it increases the weight that’s exerted on your cervical spine:
At a 15-degree angle, it’s 27 pounds
At a 30-degree angle, it’s 40 pounds
At a 45-degree angle, it’s 49 pounds
At a 60-degree angle, it’s 60 pounds
This could also explain why we’re beginning to see these early signs of spinal degeneration in children as young as 12 years old. Check out my tips below to see how you can help prevent extra wear-and-tear in your spine when looking at your mobile devices:
1. Hold your phone up - When you’re sitting or standing, start to become aware of your posture. If you hold your phone out in front of you rather than downward (as if you were taking a selfie), you can minimize the amount of pressure on your spine. (Or, if you're really ambitious, you can check out this interesting device from the start-up Neckset, Ltd.)
2. Stretch your chest and neck - Chest openers and neck stretches are great exercises to reverse some of the stress that’s caused in our body from looking downward all day. Here are two of my favorite stretches to do during the day:
3. Get to your chiropractor! - As stress (in this case, physical stress) accumulates on the spine, it’s important to get your spine checked for misalignments we know as subluxation. Alterations in our biomechanics lead to degeneration of our joints. Regular chiropractic adjustments help optimize joint mechanics, which helps to reduce the progression of chronic degeneration in our spines. (2)
Don’t have a chiropractor yet? Give us a call at 203-355-2830 or request an appointment online to set up a spinal check-up for you or your children today.
1. HANSRAJ, KENNETH K. "Assessment of stresses in the cervical spine caused by posture and position of the head." Surgical technology international 25 (2014): 277-279.
2. Srbely J. Spinal manipulative therapy and its role in the prevention, treatment and management of chronic pain. The Journal of the Canadian Chiropractic Association. 2012;56(1):5-7.
Dr. Cristina shares some insight about the benefits of Chiropractic as a vital part of your healthy lifestyle!